Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After your property in Garland suffers from a water loss, it is important to know what steps to take and what steps to avoid. Down below, our team has listed some do's and don'ts after a water leak. These tips can keep you and others on your property safe and prevent any further damage.
What is important to remember is that a quick response to your water loss is crucial. Even waiting 24-48 hours is enough for a mold infestation to break out on your property and cause even more damage.
Remember to call our SERVPRO of South Garland crew as quickly as possible after noticing signs of water damage in your home or business!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (972) 278-7871
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.