Holiday season tips to prevent Fires
As we enter the Holiday season, Here at SERVPRO of South Garland this seems to be fire season as well. We don’t want you to experience the tragedy that comes with a home fire. So please be careful this holiday season and Stay SAFE.
7 Tips for Preventing Home Fires and Keeping Your Family and Valuables Safe.
1: Take Extreme Caution When Cooking
The undeniable fact is that people simply aren't careful enough when it comes to cooking. This is the number one cause of home fires.
One of the biggest dangers is the combination of hot splashing grease and unattended cooking. Hot grease can instantly burst into flames. So it's vital that you're always there to watch and make sure that grease does not splash. And do not put frozen foods in hot grease it can cause it to splash more that thawed foods.
Of course keeping flammable dish towels, paper towels, or pot holders next to an open flame is a recipe for disaster. Keep all of those clear from the stove.
Last but not least, make sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand, ready to go at any moment in the kitchen, to immediately put out any fires
2: Keep Your Heating Equipment in Good Condition
Many fires start each and every year due to heating equipment that hasn't been maintained. You should have your home heating utilities inspected and cleaned annually. Just as well, fireplace and chimney cleaning should be part of your annual budget
Portable heaters are also a great danger when not used properly. Keep these heaters at least 3 feet away from anything flammable, such as curtains, bed sheets, and never dry clothes on them. Always unplug portable heaters when you leave the home.
3: Smoking in the Home Is a Fire Waiting to Happen
Smoking is a huge and obvious fire hazard, yet so many people carry on smoking in the home.
The easiest way to prevent a fire from cigarettes is to not ever smoke in the home. However if you insist on still smoking in the home, be sure never to smoke in bed. Most cigarette fires are started with people falling asleep with their cigarette lit.
Using deep ashtrays is highly recommended. Never use flammable items such as paper plates, bowls, or cups as an ashtray. And remember that a cigarette butt can burn and smolder for hours after you think it's been extinguished.
4: Electrical Fires Hide Around Every Corner
Electrical equipment makes our life easier in so many ways, but can also cause grave danger when it comes to fire safety.
Holiday decorations can be dangerous and should be handled with care. It's important that you keep a close eye on your electrical equipment. Never use faulty equipment. Always watch for frayed or torn cords and wires. Never run a cord under furniture or rugs. Wires get hot. The insulation on wires can also tear in places that you can't see, and cause a fire when up against flammable material.
Also any electrical job in your home, should be done by a professional. Do-it-yourself electrical jobs very often go bad, simply because they're not performed completely properly. This is no time to take a shortcut or save money.
5: Candles Can Lead to Disaster
The candle market is huge. It's a multi-Billion dollar industry. While we love the way candles look and smell, especially during the holidays, the fact is that candles can be extremely dangerous. In essence, they're voluntary open flames left around your home. This can lead to disaster in many ways.
The most common cause of candle fires is because they're placed too close to flammable material such as curtains, table cloths, etc. Other ways that candle fires can easily start are from kids or pets knocking over candles that have been placed too low. It's important that you use a sturdy candle holder that's in no way flammable. Candles melt and the flame can very easily and quickly end up on a flammable source. Do a thorough walk through your home whenever candles are lit, and make sure all have been extinguished.
6: Curious Children and Fires Do Not Mix
Children are curious by fire. They may want to see what happens when something melts or becomes ablaze or are intrigued by how things melt. But obviously that's extremely dangerous and a huge hazard to the entire home.
The first step is to explain in great detail the full dangers of fire. This is the time that you want to scare you children a bit. You also want to be diligent about keeping any source of fire out of their reach. If you find anything like matches, lighters, or even notice burnt or melted toys in their room or play area, immediately take action. In this case it's better to assume that they're likely playing with fire and strongly re-iterate the dangers.
7: The Fire Dangers Behind Your Walls.
We spoke about electrical equipment in the home, but the electricity that powers those appliances runs through wiring in your home, which can cause fires.
If your electricity frequently shuts off, or trips fuses or breakers then that's telling you that you have a problem. Faulty outlets and bad or old wiring can be dangerous.
Never try to be an electrician in the home if you're not one. Let a professional handle the electrical work in every situation. This decision could save your life, your family's life, as well as your home and all of your possessions in the home.
Keep smoke alarms in every room of your home, and frequently (do it now) check the batteries, and make sure that all are in working order.
Now that you know how to prevent fires in your home, you should take action now while it's fresh in your mind. Next post will be “what you need to know to make it out safe”
Remember if you have had a fire and it was put out by the fire department there could also be hidden water damage, it is important that your home gets back to a safe living condition quickly. If soot stays in the materials in the home it can cause significant damage. If you have need of our services now, call us at (972) 278-7871. We are available 24/7 to take care of emergency repairs to secure your home or business. As a locally owned business, SERVPRO of South Garland is dedicated to restoring the homes of our neighbors.